If you’re looking for the ultimate outdoor “wow” factor, set the stage for creative entertaining with a custom pergola. The perfect pergola can make even a small area seem spacious and inviting. Pergola popularity is on the rise because people are embracing their outdoor space more these days. We are going to review what a pergola is, why you should own a pergola, and some guidance for pergola maintenance.
What is a pergola?
A pergola is an outdoor structure consisting of columns that support a roofing grid of beams and rafters. This roofing grid may be left open or be covered to create an area protected from the elements. Pergolas may be freestanding or attached to a structure, such as a house. This outdoor feature is usually used to form a shaded walkway, passageway, or a sitting area.
A pergola is a rather simple structure, based on the grand masonry pergolas of the Italian Renaissance. A pergola can completely transform your backyard and turn it into an outdoor living space that you love. Some pergolas may look like uncompleted structures since they are typically built with just roof beams without a solid cover or walls. Regardless how protected your pergola is, it adds a design element to your outdoor area that is attractive and attention grabbing.
Pergolas don’t just make your outdoor space have eye-catching appeal; they also have many other benefits.
Why you should own a pergola
Below we are going to review some of the reasons we believe as to why you should own a pergola:
- Establish a defined outdoor living space: A pergola can add distinctness to your outdoors. A pergola will make your outdoor space look more appealing. This structure adds a new aspect to your space that can transform the look.
- Create an additional entertainment space: You can create an additional entertainment or sitting/dining area by adding a pergola. A pergola will give you an outdoor entertainment area that is attractive and versatile.
- Add a level of privacy: Pergolas help to create a more private area in your outdoors. Even though is an open structure, you can make it a private setting by adding drapes/curtains, latticework, or screens.
- Provide shaded space: Pergolas can provide cover and a shaded area to use to enjoy your outdoor space. If you put a cover over your pergola you are protected from all the elements, allowing you to enjoy it rain or shine.
- Increase value of your home: As of 2017, estimates put the ROI of adding a pergola to a patio or extended roof at around 50%. A pergola will add market value to any house. Since outdoor living has become more popular, the value of properties with a pergola has been on the rise.
- Additional space for plants: Pergolas allow you to add additional garden space in your outdoor area. They provide the perfect structure for you hang plants from and enjoy vine plants that can intertwine themselves in the boards.
What type of maintenance is required for a pergola?
Now that we have reviewed what a pergola is and why you should own a pergola, we are going to review what maintenance, if any, is required for a pergola. Pergolas are generally low maintenance. You can maintain your pergola based on your desire for the look and feel of your structure.
Depending upon the desired appearance and materials used, your pergola can be zero maintenance and will “weather” over time. If you want to keep a “luster” to the pergola, then it will be necessary to add paint, sealer, or stain, as needed. This can vary from every 2 to 5 years.
Pergolas are typically built from specific types of wood that are strong and can last for many years. Because pergolas are outdoor structures, the wind, sun, snow and rain can take their toll on a pergola. We know that we have no way to control the elements in Northeast Ohio and Erie, PA, so taking care of and maintaining your pergola may be needed to keep its appearance and increase its longevity. Every pergola is different.