As the New Year approaches, many of us start reflecting on the past year and setting goals for the year ahead. Among the most common resolutions are those related to health and fitness. If you’re considering how to make your health and fitness goals a reality in the upcoming year, owning a swim spa could be the game changer that you need. In this article, we are going to take a look at how owning a swim spa can help you achieve your health and fitness goals, helping you dive into the New Year with a renewed sense of determination and accomplishment.
What is a Swim Spa?
A swim spa is a hybrid between a pool and a spa. They have characteristics of a hot tub (heated and hydro massage features) and a pool (size to allow for more people to enjoy it and enough space for swimming and exercise). It is a self-contained unit that is typically smaller than a traditional swimming pool but larger than a regular hot tub.
Swim spas can fit most places a large pool cannot while still providing some of the same recreational and exercise benefits. They do this by producing a steady current of water that creates resistance. There is a range of models for different types of uses, from light exercise and hot tub use to the more serious swimmer who wants to be able to train efficiently.
If you want to learn more about swim spas, you can check out our article, “What is a Swim Spa and Why You Will Want One”. For now, we are going to jump into how owning a swim spa can help you achieve your health and fitness goals and ensure you reach those New Year’s resolutions.
How Owning a Swim Spa Can Help You Achieve Your Health and Fitness Goals
Owning a swim spa comes with many benefits and can be a great addition to your home and lifestyle, providing you with the means to improve your physical fitness, mental well-being, and overall quality of life. Did we mention that swim spas are great for cold weather regions, like Northeast Ohio and Erie, PA, and can be used all year round, even when swimming pools are closed? It’s true, swim spas are like hot tubs, and there really are no off seasons for them.
Below we are going to take a look at how owning a swim spa can help you achieve your health and fitness goals and set you up for a great 2024 and some of the other benefits they offer.
- Relaxation and Stress Relief: Studies have shown that immersing yourself in hot water helps to relieve stress and decrease depression symptoms (Cleveland Clinic). A swim spa provides a tranquil and soothing environment, whether you are using it for exercise or not, helping you unwind after a long day and find a sense of peace. Incorporating a swim spa into your routine can contribute to improved mental well-being and better overall stress management, making it easier to focus on your New Year’s resolutions and personal growth.
- Improved Sleep: After the holiday season, most of us could use some improved sleep, and one of the ways that owning a swim spa can help, is aiding in your sleep improvement. The relaxation and stress relief they offer also leads to a better quality of sleep, something you need if you are going to achieve your goals in the New Year. Soaking 15 minutes in a swim spa, 90 minutes before bed, helps to cool your body temperature, enabling a better night’s sleep. According to the Cleveland Clinic, “The muscle-relaxing, mood-boosting effects of hot water can help you soak the day away and prepare you for sleep”.
- Improved Cardiovascular Health: According to a 2020 study, soaking in hot water reduces the risk of heart disease by 28% and the risk of stroke by 26%. That number jumped to 35% lower risk of cardiovascular disease when hotter water was used. Researchers believe the heat of the water works to lower blood pressure while upping heart rate and improving something called the hemodynamic function, which, in layman’s terms, is how effectively the heart pumps blood to all the organs in the body, providing the same results that many people get from aerobic activity (Healthline).
- Reduced Pain and Muscle Aches: Hot water from the swim spa creates hydrostatic pressure, or pressure caused by the weight of the water. This helps alleviate joint inflammation and stiffness, which increases your mobility and reduces pain and muscle aches. A swim spa also offers hydrotherapy benefits. Studies have shown that hydrotherapy is particularly effective in reducing pain and joint tenderness and increasing strength in patients with arthritis, it has also been positively linked to improvements across a wide range of other conditions. A swim spa could even eliminate headache pain. The pulsating jets help massage the pain points and nerves responsible for tension headaches.
- Low-Impact Full Body Workouts: Another way owning a swim spa can help you achieve your health and fitness goals is by providing you an outlet for low-impact full body workouts all year round. Unlike high-impact activities that can be tough on your joints, swimming in a swim spa provides a full body workout with minimal strain on your body. This makes it an ideal option for individuals of all ages and fitness levels, including those recovering from injuries or dealing with joint pain. In addition, the water adds resistance, which means you will move a little slower than you would on dry land. This resistance can help improve the effectiveness of your workout, and chances are you won’t even notice it.
- Weight Management: When you own a swim spa, you not only get a vessel to enjoy for relaxation, you get added exercise equipment right in your backyard. Odds are, if you have opted for a swim spa over a hot tub, it is likely because you plan on swimming in it. Swimming is a calorie burning activity, making it an effective tool for weight management. By incorporating swim spa sessions into your regular routine, you can burn calories, shed excess pounds, and support your overall health and fitness goals. As we mentioned above, the low-impact full body workouts offered by a swim spa, make working towards those weight loss goals a little less difficult.
When it comes to how owning a swim spa can help you achieve your health and fitness goals, we could keep going. Not to mention all of the other benefits that come with swim spas. The New Year is on the horizon and if you are looking to better your overall well-being in 2024, a swim spa may be just what you are looking for.
Litehouse Pools & Spas offers the highest quality swim spas you’ve been dreaming about. You don’t have to worry about installation, we handle everything for you. With one of our swim spas, all you have to do is sit back, relax, and invite your friends and family over to enjoy your new spa. At Litehouse, we also have spa accessories, covers and lifts, chemicals, and more. Shop online or visit us today.