For many people, Labor Day weekend marks pool closing time, but it doesn’t have to. You should be able to enjoy your swimming season as long as you want. In Northeast Ohio and Erie, PA, when the weather allows us to be outdoors, we should embrace it for as long as possible, and if you have a home swimming pool that means you should be able to enjoy it. For those of us looking to hang on to summer, and relaxing days and nights poolside, for as long as we possibly can, there are things you should do to protect your pool as the leaves start falling. We are going to review some pool fall maintenance tips.
Pool Fall Maintenance Tips
- Enjoy Your Pool as Long as You Can: Our number one pool fall maintenance tip is to not close your pool too early. Pools should not be closed until temperatures are consistently below 65 degrees. In Northeast Ohio and Erie, PA, our weather usually hits this tipping point in early to mid-October. Enjoy your pool as long as you can, because if closed too early and in the hotter months, it can cause algae to grow and will leave you with an unpleasant surprise when it’s pool opening time.
- Keep Leaves Out of the Water: The warm Northeast Ohio and Erie, PA autumn breezes can mean extra work for you to try to maintain a clean and inviting pool. With the right pool cover and/or leaf guard, you can prevent many leaves from making their way into your water, but you will likely not be able to avoid them all. When you find the pretty colored leaves in your swimming pool, you should get them out as soon as possible, with a leaf rake, leaf eater, leaf canister, and/or skimmer, to avoid them creating issues and interruption in your swimming.
- Schedule Your Pool Closing: Just because it isn’t pool closing time yet, doesn’t mean that you shouldn’t prepare for it. Hiring a local pool closing team can ensure, that when your pool is buttoned up for the season, it is ready to go for the following year. At Litehouse Pools & Spas we can handle your entire pool closing process. Our pool service technicians provide complete pool care including opening, closing, regular maintenance packages, and specialized cleaning services. Schedule your pool closing now to ensure you can get an appointment.
When temperatures are consistently below 65 degrees, with the pool water regularly below 60 degrees, and it’s officially time to close it up for the season, there are some additional pool fall maintenance tips you can follow, to make sure you don’t find any surprises when you open your pool in the spring. These include:
- Balancing Your Water: Before you close your pool for the season, you should make sure that the water is as clean and balanced as possible. Test the water and get it into the proper pH and alkalinity levels and shock it if needed. The best way to prevent a green pool in the spring and summer, is to ensure your pool is in the proper levels at the time of closing. There are winter kits you can use to help you with your pool closing.
- Cleaning Pool Equipment and Accessories: It is recommended to clean your pool equipment as you close your pool, so it is ready for you when you go to open the pool. Drain your pump and filter, remove skimmers and baskets, remove and clean ladders and handrails, clean around the liner, etc.
- Vacuuming the Bottom of Your Pool: Vacuuming your pool is part of the overall process of regular pool maintenance. It keeps your pool free of potential pathogens, algae, and bacteria, and plays a huge role in just how clean and clear your water is. Not to mention, it also cleans up small bits of debris that you might miss with your skimmer. This pool fall maintenance tip, like the ones above, help to ensure your water is in the best condition possible when you go to open your pool next spring.
We encourage you to enjoy your swimming pool as long as possible, and the pool fall maintenance tips we have reviewed, should help you do just that. When you are ready to close it up, we are here for you.
At Litehouse Pools & Spas we can handle your entire pool closing process. We have highly skilled and certified staff available. We offer different pool closing packages so you can find one that is right for you. Let us take care of your pool closing and pool opening.
Contact us today to schedule your pool closing.